I started one of the baby blankets the other night, as two of my cousins are expecting babies in the next few months. I discussed colours with the first mummy due, and she is loving soft greens, as she is still deciding wether to have a surprise, or to find out the gender before bub is born. I bought some beautiful green 8-ply while I was out shopping. It is a thicker 8-ply, and I am using 6mm knitting needles. I couldn’t find my circular, so DaddyMopar called in at lincraft on his way home from work one day to buy one for me.
I am playing it by ear, so it might be 35 inches wide, could be 50. I started by picking a stitch pattern I liked, and assumed 5 stitches per inch, and about 40 inches wide. pattern repeat is 9 + multiples of 12, so 201 stitches. Oopsies. My tension is more like 4 stitches per inch. I decided after about 20cm (8 inches) I wanted a 6 stitch edging of moss stitch, as I thought I couldn’t find a nice edging to go with it, and most are too fussy, I wanted the emphasis on the fern stitch in the middle. Commence Frogging. You ribbit out. With fern stitch each diamond starts with 1 stitch, and you increase, then decrease. It wasn’t as simple as dropping 6 stitches, then re-knitting them. No no no, I ended up dropping about 30, then re-doing them.
Once I had my 6 moss stitch border in place, I noticed a big boo-boo. I skipped a row of the pattern repeat. I then had to go back about 20 or 30 rows to do the correct pattern.
I now have 7 stitches of moss stitch at each end, and I just measured, it is 16cm long. It is beautiful, and a pleasure to knit.
As for the cricket…
There is a cricket loose in my kitchen, and he keeps chirping….
Lots of love,